Tuesday, January 6, 2009

MeDOULA Oblongata

The medulla oblongata is the lower portion of the brainstem. It deals with autonomic functions, such as breathing and blood pressure.

A doula is an assistant who provides various forms of non-medical support (physical, emotional and informed choice) in the childbirth process.
(see how they kinda connect? Kinda? Ha, whatever.)
SWEET!

Okay, so I've decided to become a Doula and I'm sooo stoked.
I will be getting my certification through DONA International, beginning in a couple weeks. I'll start the "required reading" and then in February I'll attend my Professional Labor Support Training Birth Doula Workshop Yea. It's pretty exciting.

After the workshop I'll be completely ready to work as an actual Doula!
Of course, I won't be certified quite yet.

For complete certifications my requirements are:
  • Required reading of 5(or more if I choose) Doula books..I'll be buying them shortly
  • Attending a Doula workshop of 16 hours...taking place in February
  • Take a Childbirth Education Class (like lamaze)
  • Complete a lactation class
  • Attend (as a Doula) three births (already have one THANK YOU TINA)
  • Write an Essay on Doula's and whatnot
  • and some other legal stuff
I'M SO FLIPPING EXCITED!!!!!!!!

...now all I need is two more pregnant ladies to let me be their Doula :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

doula is actually a greek word for 'caretaker'. completely unrelated to medulla oblongata.